Master of Cybersecurity Tuition, Financial Assistance and Billing FAQs:

Setting up your University of Sydney account

How do I log into my University of Sydney account?

You will find links to our University systems on the Student website homepage. These include:

Find more information on student IT services.

When will I get my University of Sydney login details?

After you accept your offer and enrolment has opened for your course, you will receive an email with your UniKey and a link to set a password.

How do I set up my University of Sydney email address, UniKey and Password?

Your UniKey is a unique ID and password that will give you access to systems and resources at the University. It will have the format: abcd1234.

Your UniKey is emailed to you after you accept your offer and enrolment has opened for your course. You will have it for the duration of your candidature as a student at the University. Your UniKey is provided to you for access to study-related resources. It will expire when you stop studying or during a break in your studies.

Remember to keep your UniKey details safe, as it allows access to your information and is necessary to complete tasks related to your study. Find out more about your UniKey, including what to do if you forget your password, on our website.

When you enrol, you will be provided with a University student email account. It is important you log in to check your emails regularly. Find out more about accessing your email.

Tuition fees

What are my tuition fees for the online master of cybersecurity?

Tuition fees below are reflected for the 2023 academic year. You must pay tuition fees for each unit you undertake. The amount you pay depends on your course, units and whether you’re a domestic or international student. Fees may increase each year.

Domestic student tuition fees: You are a domestic student if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident visa holder, including permanent humanitarian visa holder, or a New Zealand citizen.

  • Cost per credit point: $AUD 812.50
  • Cost per 6 credit point unit: $AUD 4.875

International student tuition fees: You are an international student if you are a resident or citizen of another country or a temporary resident (visa status) of Australia.

  • Cost per credit point: $AUD 1,052.00
  • Cost per 6 credit point unit: $AUS 6.312

For more information, please visit the University of Sydney website.

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is charged each semester to fund non-academic services and to support programs at the University. Most students are required to pay this fee in addition to their tuition fees.

The Australian Government determines SSAF rates on an annual basis. SSAF rates may increase each year.

2023 SSAF rates (per semester):

Full-time: $163
(Semester study load of 0.375 equivalent full-time student load or more)

Part-time: $122.25
(Semester study load of 0.374 equivalent full-time student load or less)

When are SSAF rates due?

SSAF is charged at enrolment. You must pay the SSAF each semester by the due date. You can view your SSAF amount on your Student Financial Statement in Sydney Student. Go to:

  1. My finances
  2. Your finances
  3. View financial statements

Eligible students may be able to defer all or part of their SSAF through SA-HELP.


You may also need to budget for textbooks for the units that you enrol in.

Visit the Fees page for additional information on understanding and paying your fees.

Funding your studies

What financial support is available?

The Australian Government’s Study Assist website provides a wide range of information for both domestic and international students.

The University of Sydney has a number of bursaries and interest-free loans to assist with essential study and living costs. Bursaries are awarded to students on the basis of financial need through trusts set up by private benefactors or the University.

There are two types of bursaries available: general bursaries and advertised bursaries. If you receive a bursary, you do not need to pay it back. However, we do encourage you to make a donation later (once you have graduated and found employment) to ensure future students also have access to this financial support.

Interest-free loans are available to help cover your living and study expenses, and must be repaid. Visit the Financial Support page for information on financial assistance.

Does the University of Sydney offer institutional scholarships?

The University of Sydney offers scholarships to domestic and international students.

For more information, visit the Scholarships and Financial Support page.

How does my employer go about paying the University?

Once you enrol, your fees will be calculated and you will be advised when your statement is available.

You will be able to access your Student Financial Statement via your Sydney Student and you can email a copy of your statement to your employer. 

What types of education loans are available?

The Australian Government’s Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) is a government loan scheme that enables eligible students to defer their fees through a loan.

Any amount deferred through HELP becomes part of an accumulated HELP debt, which you will be required to repay through the tax system once you meet a certain salary threshold. For more information on the repayment of HELP loans, visit the Government’s Study Assist website.

The types of loans available include:

  • FEE-HELP: assists eligible, domestic full-fee paying students to access a loan to help cover all or part of their tuition fees.
  • SA-HELP: assists eligible students to defer all or part of their Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) through a loan.

US citizens and eligible non-citizens do not qualify for federal student aid or for military education benefits for this program due to the fully online nature of the program.

How do I apply for HELP assistance? When should I apply?

The relevant forms will be available through your Sydney Student. You can submit the form when you first enrol. Visit Government HELP Loans for detailed information. 

If you wish to access HELP assistance after you have completed your enrolment, you can apply or change your payment option – on or before the relevant census date – through Sydney Student. Go to:

  1. My finance
  2. Your finances 
  3. Government forms

Make sure you have your TFN (tax file number) and USI (Unique Student Identifier) when submitting your HELP forms.

Residents of other countries should contact the appropriate student finance authority.

Are there financing options for Veterans, spouses and/or dependants?

Visit the Australian Government Department of Veterans Affairs website for information on Education Schemes.

Billing policies and payment options

When will I pay my fees?

Once your enrolment is complete, you can see your incurred fees by teaching period. Log into Sydney Student and view your financial statement. Go to:

  1. My finance
  2. Your finances
  3. View financial statement

The statement lists each unit of study that you are enrolled in for that payment period and includes its associated:

  • tuition fee amount
  • equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL)
  • due date for payment
  • census date.

Where will I pay my fees?

You can see your personal fee due dates on your financial statement in Sydney Student.

You will need to make sure your fees are paid by the relevant due date. If you miss the due date, you will risk late payment penalties and/or cancellation of your enrolment.

You can see the full list of fee due dates on the study dates page.

We will also send email reminders when fees are due, so make sure you regularly check your University student email account.

What are my options for making the payment?

To pay your fees, log in to your Sydney Student and go to:

  1. My finance
  2. Your finances
  3. Payment methods

Select your preferred payment method and follow the prompts:

Payment typeWhat to doProcessing time
Australian account holders only
No surcharge applies
You can use BPAY to securely pay your fees from an Australian account.
Your biller code and personal reference number are available on your statement.
For information on how to make a payment through your Australian financial institution, visit the BPAY website.
Within 3 business days
Credit card
Surcharge applies
If you would like to pay in Australian dollars, you can select to pay your fees via our online payment gateway.

Please note that a surcharge will apply for payments by debit or credit card. Find a list of the applicable card payment fees on our website.
The next business day (if you pay before 10pm).
Surcharge applies
You can pay your fees using PayPal (credit card only) via our secure online payment gateway.

Please note that a 1.5% surcharge applies for payments via PayPal.
The next business day (if you pay before 10pm).
International payments
Including international bank transfers (also known as telegraphic transfers), credit card payments and other payment methods.
No surcharge applies for international account holders
If you would like to pay in foreign currency from an international account, you will still need to go through our online payment gateway. You can choose one of our partners to pay through:
Western Union offers international bank transfers as well as credit or debit card payments online in international currencies.
HSBC only offers international bank transfers.
Please note that HSBC is currently unavailable to students who wish to pay in Chinese Renminbi from mainland China.
To pay by international bank transfers:
Follow the prompts to either pay by credit card, or generate your personalised payment information in your local currency. This contains instructions for transferring funds to the University.

Take this information to your bank to arrange an international transfer of funds (depending on your bank, you may be able to do this online or at a branch).
Up to 10 business days
Not currently available
In response to COVID-19, we are not currently accepting payments made by mail. This includes cheques, drafts or money orders.

Does the University of Sydney offer a monthly payment plan?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to make payments in instalments. You must pay your fees by the relevant deadline.

What happens if I don’t receive my funding in time for the enrolment deadline?

If you fail to pay your fees by the relevant deadlines, sanctions will be applied, including the possibility of enrolment cancellation.

To avoid sanctions, cancellations and other penalties, either reduce your study load to an affordable one or suspend/discontinue your studies.

For more information, visit the Overdue fees and penalties page.

What are the consequences if my fees are not paid by the due date?

If you have not paid your fees by the due date, a sanction will be applied to your student record, preventing you from accessing your results or your transcript until your fees are paid in full.

You will also be unable to enrol in any future teaching periods, or if you have already enrolled, your enrolment for those teaching periods will be cancelled. Your debt may also be referred to a third-party debt collection agency in line with the University’s Student Debtor Sanctions policy.

To avoid sanctions and enrolment cancellation, you should make your payment as early as possible as it can take up to five business days for a payment to be reflected in your Sydney Student. Once payment is received in your University account, it can take up to five business days for sanctions to be lifted from your account.

Please contact the Student Fees team if you would like to re-enroll after cancellation.

Loan repayment/deferment

Do I have to repay any student loans I currently have while I’m studying?

Students who have received loans through the Australian Government can find information about loan repayment on the Study Assist website.

If you have education loans from other countries, please contact your lending agency. If you have outstanding federal student loans as a US citizen or eligible non-citizen, you may be eligible to defer payment on your federal student loans if you are enrolled at least part-time. Please check with your loan servicer directly to ensure you understand all of your loan options and obligations. Request a deferment.